These are some of our favourite photo's of Heinrich's:
|Giraffe black and white|
We caught up with this week's most popular photographer and tried to get to know him a little bit better. Here's what we learnt:
1) Why did you become a photographer?
Photography has always been my passion. I am not very successful with anything that I am not passionate about, so I really didn't have a choice - I needed to become a photographer.
2) What is your preferred kind of photography?
I prefer to photograph anything that I really enjoy looking at or doing. I mostly end up photographing wildlife, nature and travel.
3) Whose work has influenced you the most?
Frans Lanting, Jim Brandenburg and Ansel Adams
4) Your favourite image you have taken?
|I like the hippo I photographed at Sabi Sands.|
5) Favourite equipment to take along on a shoot?
I don't really have a favourite piece of equipment. Although I find myself shooting very often with my 70-200mm f2,8 and my 300mm f2,8 lenses.
6) What is the best time of the day to take shot?
I like photographing in dull light, being it early morning, late afternoon or before sunrise or after sunset. I also really enjoy photographing in bright overcast conditions.
7) How do you educate yourself to take better photos?
I practice. If you are obsessive enough about photography you find yourself finding inspiration everywhere around you. I believe that one is the most creative if you don't measure yourself with other photographers, although it does help to look at the work of the masters. National Geographic is a wonderful magazine to get original ideas for useful photography.
8) How do you feel about being in front of the camera?
Don't like it.
|Here's a pic of Heinrich van den Berg in action|
9) What is the one thing you wish you knew when you started taking photos?
I wish I started photographing with the best possible lenses and equipment.
10) What makes the good picture stand out from the average?
Originality. These days where everybody can take the standard cliche photograph, you have to be able to stand out. And the only way to do it is to be original and take chances.
11) Is there anybody or anything you would love to photograph?
I'd love to go to the Galapagos Islands. And South Georgia.
12) Complete the sentence:
If you could be invisible for one day with your camera, I would like to photograph a leopard in a tree from right next to it.
You have until 22 August 2013 to purchase Heinrich van den Berg's images from Digital Gallery for the discounted price.
Digital Gallery has just launched a Facebook page, follow them here.